Get the quality name-brand gear you need to hike, bike, paddle, climb, and camp.
Equipment available to rent: kayaks, backpacks, sleeping bags, mountain and road bikes, coolers, stoves, and more.
The Outdoor Center is located in the lower level of TRECS.
We now offer rental reservations. To reserve equipment, please call 865-974-9749 or come by the Outdoor Center during our business hours. We cannot accept rental reservations via email or voicemail.
NOTE: On mobile devices, swipe right to see full table.
|General Camping||1 Day||For The Weekend|
|3- & 4-Person Tents||$5||$10|
|Sleeping Bag (Female & Male, 0, 20 & 50 degree ratings)||$3||$6|
|Ridgerest Ensolite Sleeping Pad||$2||$4|
|Crazy Creek Camp Chair||$2||$4|
|Hammock w/ straps||$3||$6|
|Backpack 60L and 65L (female & male)||$5||$10|
|2-Burner Propane Stove (does not include fuel)||$4||$6|
|Cooler (good for a few hours)||$1||$2|
|Cooler (higher quality name brand, good for several days or high heat)||$3||$6|
|Water Bottle (1 qt)||$1||$2|
|Rock Climbing/Caving||1 Day||For The Weekend|
|Biking*||1 Day||For The Weekend|
|*All bike rentals include helmet and lock.|
|Water Sports||1 Day||For The Weekend|
|Sit on Top Kayak – 1 person*||$10||$18|
|Sit on Top Kayak – 2 person*||$12||$20|
|Stand Up Paddleboard*||$15||$25|
|Whitewater Kayak Package*||$15||$25|
|Sea Kayak Package*^||$15||$25|
|Fly Fishing Rod||$2||$3|
|Fly Fishing Reel||$2||$4|
|Whitewater Kayaking Helmet||$2||$4|
|Paddle (kayak or SUP)||$5||$10|
|*All kayak packages include kayak, PFD, and paddle. Spray skirt included for sea kayak & whitewater kayak. Helmet included with whitewater kayak. SUP rentals include SUP, PFD, paddle, and leash.
Boat and boards are large, cumbersome items. Only straps are provided for securing to a vehicle. You must provide your own foam or large towels. Please call with questions about transportation.
^To rent a sea kayak, you must have a roof rack. Sea kayaks are 16-feet long
|Guide Books – Climbing in the South East||Call Number|
|Books are available directly from UTK Library Stacks.|
|The Obed: a climber’s guide to the wild and scenic. by Kelly Brown; with photos by Mark A. Large., Greener Grass Publishing. 2011,||GV199.42.T2 B76 2011|
|Rocktown: a comprehensive bouldering guide. by Sean Kearney and Zak Roper. Brayackmedia Publishing. 2012,||GV199.42.G42 P545 2012|
|Horse Pens 40 Bouldering. by Adam Henry. Rockery Press. 2016,||GV199.42.A2 H46 2016|
|Chattrad: A Comprehensive Guide to Chattanooga Trad Climbing. by Rob Robinson. Rockery Press, 2014||GV199.42.T22 C43 2014|
|Red River Gorge – South: a rock climbing guidebook to Kentucky’s Red River Gorge., Wolverine Publishing. 2015,||GV199.42.K42 E55 2015|
|Red River Gorge – North: a rock climbing guidebook to Kentucky’s Red River Gorge. Wolverine Publishing. 2015||GV199.42.K42 E55 2015|
|Rumbling Bald Rock Climbs: a climber’s guide to 400+ routes within Hickory Nut Gorge, NC. by Mike Reardon & Sean Cobourn. Ground Up Publishing. 2014,||GV199.42.N6 R43 2014|
|Selected Climbs in North Carolina. by Yon Lambert, Harrison Shull. Mountaineers Books. 2002,||GV199.42.N66 L36 2002|
|Cedar Rock and Satellite Crags: A Climber’s Guide, by Mike Reardon and Brad Woolf. Ground Up Publishing. 2012,||GV199.42.N6 R427 2012|
|New River Rock. by Mike Williams. Wolverine Publishing. 2013,||GV200.2.W42 W55 2013|
|Grayson Highlands Bouldering. by Aaron Parlier. Brayackmedia Publishing. 2013,||GV199.42.V82 G74 2013|
|Guide Books – Paddling & Hiking – Select Books||Call Numbers|
|Hiking waterfalls in Tennessee: a guide to the state’s best waterfall hikes. Johnny Molloy. FalconGuides. 2015.||GV199.42.T2 M65 2015|
|Hiking Tennessee: Second edition. A guide to the state’s greatest hiking adventures. Kelley Roark. FalconGuides 2016,||GV199.42.T2 R63 2016|
|The River Gypsies’ guide to North America: a whitewater travel guide to 294 of the continent’s best rivers. by Leland Davis, Andria Davis, & friends. Brushy Mountain Publishing. 2010,||GV788 .D385 2010|
|Whitewater of the Southern Appalachians by Kirk Eddlemon. Wolverine Publishing. 2014.||GV783 .E33 2014|
- We can accept cash, check, Vol Card, MasterCard, or Visa.
- Reservation requests must be submitted 2 days before the requested pickup date.
- Any reservations canceled on the day of the pickup will incur a $2/item fee.
- Any reservations not picked up or canceled prior to 1 PM on the day of the pick up will incur a $5/item fee.
- Equipment returned late is charged at twice the daily rate for every day the equipment is late.
- Equipment is available to current UT students, as well as faculty and staff with a valid RecSports membership. Department, office, team and registered student organization rental information here.
- Rental Rate Periods: Daily means one 24 hour period (available, M,T,W,R) and Weekend means pickup on Friday and return Monday (during business hours).
- Renter is held financially responsible for cleaning, theft, loss, abnormal wear and tear damage, and any late fees assessed.
- Any fees not paid within one month of the scheduled return date results in a hold placed on the renter’s university account or a suspension of RecSports utilization.
- Refunds are not given for equipment rentals once rented.