If you plan to spend time in the backcountry, you need to be prepared. Fast-paced and hands-on, this two-day course covers a wide range of wilderness medicine topics for people who travel and work in the outdoors and is designed to meet the needs of trip leaders, camp staff, outdoor enthusiasts and individuals working in remote locations.
Register by: 3/1/2023
No UT account is required – click the “Sign up” top right on the registration page to create a guest account.
** We’re having issues with our guest profiles this year. You will need to email Josh Elder (email@example.com) with your birthdate once you create your account. This will allow us to finish setting up your profile, and give you the ability to register for the class. **
Course Outline, Expectations, & Packing List
**Please note that per NOLS & Landmark policy, as of 12-26-2022, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination will be not required for this year’s class. You can check current requirements HERE**
This course is pre-approved by such organizations as the American Camping Association, the United States Forest Service, and other governmental agencies.
It will introduce you to caring for people who become ill or injured far from definitive medical care. Classroom lectures and demonstrations are combined with realistic scenarios where mock patients will challenge you to integrate your learning.
At the end of the course, you’ll have the knowledge, skills, and ability to make sound decisions in emergency situations.
Taught by seasoned instructors in a two-day format, most WFA courses are held on a weekend. Learning takes place both in the classroom and in outdoor settings regardless of weather conditions.
Come prepared for wet, muddy, cold, or hot environments.
- Avid hikers, teachers leading school trips, backcountry guides
- Canoe trip leaders, private expedition groups, college/university outdoor education programs
- Hiking club trip leaders, wilderness therapeutic programs, and adventure race safety personnel.
- This course may be used to recertify Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT (wilderness portion only) certifications for WMI cardholders who are current or in their recertification period.
- Meals: Not included in the course cost.
- Lodging/Camping: Not included, but there are several hotels near campus and campgrounds just outside of Knoxville. Brown Bike Farms is the closes camping to campus.
About Landmark Learning
- That we have a social responsibility for sustainable outdoor resources. All programs offered through Landmark reflect appropriate use of outdoor spaces and are committed to sustainable outdoor experiences.
- In the dynamic nature of the outdoor community. It is ever-changing, as are standards in risk management and program operations. All programs offered through Landmark must commit to evolving standards. The certification specialists we represent are at the forefront of reviewing, creating and imparting these standards.
- That our programs are as good as our educators. We are the instructors of instructors, and all Landmark faculty are highly skilled both in their area/s of expertise and as educators in a classroom setting.
- Our programs are a launchpad. Nothing beats sound judgment, which can only be acquired through experience – our programs arm participants with the tools necessary to go out and gain that experience.
- In an open learning environment. Fun instructors, exciting and diverse teaching methodologies, realistic practical exercises, and research-founded curricula create the results: quality and consistency between programs, high program success rates, and high knowledge and skills retention in our students.
WHAT IS ACCREDITATION?
Accreditation is a process that ensures educational practices are acceptable, typically meaning that they are competent to qualify students, behave ethically and employ suitable quality assurance throughout all school departments and functions.
Landmark initiated its accreditation process in 2011 by selecting the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) as its accrediting body. They fit what we do and we were seeking national accreditation and recognition as a school of higher education by the US Department of Education. In all, we were seeking to provide better services to our global student body.
Have a question?
Call us at 865-974-9749 during business hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org.